Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Return to the Phlog

Hello everybody! If anyone still checks this blog, which is doubtful, I wanted to announce that I will be returning to my photo blog. First, a quick update on what I have been up to since the blog slowly faded away. A lot of time has passed, but I will try to pack it in.

In the Spring of 2009, most of my photographic attention was turned towards my thesis. Many of you have seen it, some of you haven't, but I did not post it on the blog because I wanted it to be viewed as a completed whole, and not as a bunch of chronological "in-progress" posts. For those who do not know, I am referring to my Plan II thesis project. It is a multimedia documentary project called "The Boys of Booker T," and it is about the effects of father absence in East Austin. It can be viewed here. The project was supervised by UT photojournalism professor Donna De Cesare. If you are not familiar with her work, you can see it at her newly completed website designed by Joey Castillo. She provided me with a great amount of wisdom and guidance in what became quite an in-depth project.

During this time (Spring 2009), I also continued work in my last semester at the Texan. I shot a lot of baseball and a lot of wild art. It was one of my most enjoyable semesters at the paper. Now, a year out of UT, I can say that my experience at the Texan was one of my favorite things about college and I am so grateful for the incredible experiences I was able to have and for all the wisdom shared by so many talented photographers. You know who you are. Thank you.

Upon graduation, I began working two part-time jobs (neither of which had anything to do with photography) in East Austin. One with a after-school program at Kealing Middle School called "Citizen Schools" and the other with Mission Possible, the ministry with which I volunteered since 2007. I worked both of these jobs from Summer 2009 to June 2010.

On June 5, 2010, I married Kelly Marie Loso (now McWhorter) at the Winfield Inn in Kyle, TX. Our wedding was photographed by wonderfully talented DT photographers Peter Franklin, Bryant Haertlein and Sara Young. You can see their photos here.

After our wedding and honeymoon to Colorado, Kelly and I moved into 410 E. Carson St. #2 in San Antonio. Kelly has been in pharmacy school here (through UT-Austin) since January 2010, so I am happy to have finally joined her.

So what are we doing now? Kelly works every day in her first rotation - drug information - at the UT Health Science Center. Meanwhile, I have been at home designing and building my photo website and trying to figure out where I fit into the photo world of San Antonio. I had some wonderful help getting the website going and it is finally online. You can check it out at: http://jeffreymcwhorter.com.

Thanks for reading. I hope all you photogs are doing well and thanks for pushing me to be better.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey

1 comment:

Kat said...

Your website is awesome. Thanks for updating here! Congrats on the personal successes - you sound like you're doing great. I saw Jacky right before your wedding (we were hanging out with mutual friends), which was how I found out you got married. I wish you the best, bro. Keep up the awesome photos and work.