Friday, July 23, 2010

Backlog: January 25, 2007

This picture was my very first image to run in a newspaper. It was actually much smaller than you see it on your screen. I think it was one column width over on the far left side of PI, but it was in there. And it was in COLOR! It was my first assignment of my first tryout day of my first year at The Daily Texan. The story was about student government's campaign for tax-free textbooks. They had a table set up spread with Ramen noodles and a poster set up with the question posted, "Where will you spend the money save on textbooks?" I wonder if they ever got this passed.

I also remember that guy in the photo - Mr. Zach C. Hall. He was all over the place. When you shoot for the Texan, you start seeing the same few involved people rather frequently. Democratic state rep Mark Strama was another one of these guys.

Speaking of expensive textbooks, Kelly and I were looking at an article in the Alcalde, the UT alumni magazine (since we are old alumni now), about the possibility of digital textbooks. There is actually a small school in Pennsylvania that has already purchased iPads for their entire student body. Interesting.

No comments: